If you wish to add a pattern for a garment you have made, please insert it at the end of this discussion and include a photo with the pattern.
We ask that you do not just include links to patterns online that you have not actually tried.

This year - 2013 - is being designated THE YEAR OF THE OLDER CHILD.  Since the greatest current need in KAS is for garments that will fit children in the range of 3-10, please take this into consideration when making vests, sweaters or other garments.

Also worth a mention - often, during cold weather the children must "layer" clothing - and wear several tops at once.  Please make sure that neck and armholes are large enough to allow for this

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi All,

I'm making this poncho for myself.  It's only 1/2 done.  Needs more rows, and I'll put fringe on it as well.  Do you think it's worth it to revise the pattern for a little girl?  Would they like it?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

2965303611?profile=RESIZE_480x480

• K2, P2 Rib Vest - Wendy Hinson

Materials:

Approximately; 150 grams, of 8 ply yarn. 1 pair 4 mm, (size 8) knitting needles. Yarn needle (for sewing up).

Back and Front alike:

With 4 mm knitting needles, cast on 78 Stitches.  Beginning with a K2, knit in K2, P2 rib until garment measures 16 inches in length.

Beginning on a K2 row K2, P2 first 26 stitches.  Cast off 26 Stitches (in K2, P2 pattern). Continue in K2, P2 rib, for remaining 26 stitches.

Knit 20 rows in K2, P2 rib, (or 3 inches) for shoulder, cast off in pattern.  Re-join yarn and knit 20 rows in K2, P2 rib, (or 3 inches) for remaining shoulder, cast off in pattern.

Join pieces together leaving armhole open 8 inches. Measures Chest:  20 inches (un-stretched), 26 inches (stretched), by 19 inches in length.

NOTE: This is a 'growing' vest, so it is really stretchy. Un-stretched finished it measures Chest/Bust 20 Inches, but it will easily stretch to fit up to 26 inches Chest/Bust. Measures 20 inches in length, but again stretched to the 26 inches the overall length reduces a little to 19 inches.
    This vest should therefore fit a child of anywhere between 3 and 6 years with room for growth.

2930279663?profile=original

• Hi Wendy,

Thought I'd thank you for this pattern - I have completed three of these recently.   I really enjoyed the change of stitch  (as I don't need to watch every stitch), and style of garment is a little different from others too.  The variegated wool you used is lovely - I went for stripes front and back to make the child stand out a bit individually.   I may do a few more...............cheers and happy knitting!

Karen Gordon2930331244?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Fabric KASCuddle pattern in the attached PDF with pictures.

2965115703?profile=RESIZE_320x320

If you are going to make this garment, look for fabric remnants to keep the cost down.  These are not especially cheap to make, but if you use a good quality fabric they will last for many years.

I use fleece to make the KASCuddle, although there is a bewildering choice of fleece on the Internet at varying prices.  The cheaper fleece is usually lighter weight.  It is best to get a sample or check the fabric weight, which will be quoted in grams per square metre (gsm).

Fleece is usually sold in 150cm widths, but if you are lucky sometimes it comes up a little wider and you can cut 2 pieces from one width by making use of the selvage.  This will keep the cost down.

The KASCuddle makes up very quickly - about 2 hours, although the first one may take a little longer.

Fabric KASCuddle.pdf

• epDM-3Gae5TClCSpmlcMbEL2riX.jpgMom’s “Banana” Slipper Socks       

Small (ages 8-12)

Medium (larger children/women)

Large (men)

4-ply worsted weight yarn

For striped socks:

1 (2, 2) ounces each Color A and Color B

For solid color:

2 (3, 3 1/2) ounces of any color

Size 10 knitting needles

Gauge: 4 sts = 1 inch

Striped Socks

Note: Carry yarn not in use loosely along side edge. When changing colors, bring the new color from behind the color just used.

Starting at front edge with Color A, cast on 31 (34, 36) sts.

Next row (wrong side) knit. Drop Color A, attach Color B.

Work stripe pattern as follows:

1st & 2nd rows: with Color B, knit. The first st of the 2nd and every other row (wrong side) forms the Toe edge. Drop Color B, pick up Color A.

3rd & 4th rows: With Color A, knit. Drop Color A, pick up Color B. Repeat last 4 rows for pattern. Work in pattern until total length is 1 ¼ inches, ending with a right-side row.

Next row: K in front & back of each st--62 (68, 72) sts. Continue in pattern until total length is 4 ¾ (5 ½, 6 ½) inches, ending with a right-side row.

Following row: * Working through back loops, k 2 tog (one stitch decreased). Repeat from * across—31 (34, 36) sts.

Continue in pattern for 1 ¼ inches, ending with first pattern row (right-side row with Color B). With Color B, bind off loosely. Fold piece lengthwise in half and sew cast-on and bound-off edges and both toe edges together. Make other Sock in the same way.

Solid color socks 

Using one color only, work same as striped socks.

epDM-1X2bZ48jpzwsoiMx20x7zF.jpg

• 2886707281?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Granny Square Stash Buster Easy Tank Top

Designed by ECOZEE for Knit-a-Square

This tank top/vest/slip-over is based on granny squares with sides and straps added on. It is inspired by one my late Mum crocheted for my brother in the early 70s – I only have a black and white photo but I'm sure his was bright too! My Mum died last year but enjoyed knitting and crocheting for knit-a-square so this pattern is in memory of her.

• 4.5mm crochet hook
    • UK double-knit weight yarn (USA light worsted, AUS 8-ply)
    • Approx 150 grammes yarn
    • fits my 7/8 year old on top of his school clothes and is stretchy and accommodating as requested by K-A-S.
    • Leave at least 5 inches tails for weaving in later.
    • I spent about a week of very happy evenings crocheting this and then a few more evenings weaving in ends.

The front and back are the same. The band around the bottom was added after the back and front were joined. I used dark yarn (green, black and navy) for the final double-crochet round of each granny square and to edge the whole piece – for contrast. It's up to you to make it bright and colourful have fun!

• Large Granny Square (make 2). Ch 4 and work nine rounds of a traditional granny square (ch 1 between the clusters and chain 2 at the corners). Work a tenth round of treble crochet (double USA) in each stitch and an 11th round of double crochet (single USA) in each stitch.

• Small Granny Square (make 6). Ch 4 and work three rounds of a traditional granny square (ch 1 between the clusters and chain 2 at the corners). Work a fourth round of double crochet (single USA) in each stitch.

• Sides – work 5 rows of treble crochet into the bottom 32 double crochet sts on each side of the now joined granny squares (front left and right and back left and right). Join the sides together with double crochet or sew.

• Straps – on the top corners of each large granny square, work a row of 9 treble crochet and work a further 7 rows of treble crochet (8 total). Repeat for all four corners. Join straps with double crochet or sew.

• Bottom Band – work at least 7 rounds of double crochet.

• Finishing – work an extra row or two of double crochet around the neck and armholes.

ecozee is on facebook and I blog at ecozee.wordpress

• The Very Simplest SLIP-OVER - highly desired item for South Africa as of Nov 2010.

SLIP-OVER INSTRUCTIONS - BASIC TANK TOP STYLE

In its simplest form, easy enough for even the beginning knitter/crocheter, this vest is made from 2 rectangles with a ‘shoulder strap’ attached on each side.

The finished size of the garment should be 3" longer than it is wide. The shoulder strap is included in the total length

IMPORTANT -

(1) these garments may be worn next to the skin - we need to use very soft yarn

(2) the armhole needs to be large enough that these can be worn over t-shirts..

(3) yarn weight - whatever equates roughly to 2 strands of fine baby yarn

(4) should be a bit stretchy - try a needle or hook size larger than called for

Since SLIP-OVERS are needed for ages 3 to teen, I have created the following chart

BODY               SHOULDER      TOTAL          ARMHOLE

RECTANGLE    STRAP             LENGTH         LENGTH

11x12"            2x2"                  15"                4"

13x14"            3x3"                  17"                5"

14x15"            3 wide x 4"         18"                6"

15x16"            3 wide x 4"         19"                6"

16x17"            3 wide x4"          20"                7"

The above dimensions are meant as a rough guide only - slight variations are fine as long as the neck and armholes are large enough for the size of the garment.

• To fit chest:  20(22 24 26 28 30 32) inches.

51 (56 61 66 71 76 81) cms.

Length from top of shoulders: 12 (13½ 15 16½ 18 19½ 21) ins.

30 (34 38 42 46 49 83) cms.

Sleeve seam: 4 (5 6 6½ 7 7½ 8) ins.

10 (13 15 17 18 19 20) cms.

Materials

Any Double Knitting Wool 150 (200 225 275 300 350 375) g.

Pair each of Nos. 3¼ (10) and 4mm (8) needles.

Abbreviations:

K - knit, St - stitch, SL1K - slip stitch knitways, ins - inches, cms - centimetres,

mm - millimetres, Gst - garter stitch - every row knit.

Back and front alike

With No. 3¼mm (10) needles cast on 56 (60 66 70 76 80 86) sts and work
    10 rows in garter stitch.

Change to No. 4mm (8) needles and continue in stocking stitch (one row knit and one row purl) until work measures 7 (8 9½ 10½ 12 13 14½) ins ending with right side facing for next row.

Cast on 20(26 30 32 36 38 40) sts at beginning of the next two rows for sleeves
    96 (112 126 134 148 156 166) sts.

Next row SL1K  K to end.
    Repeat last row until work measures 12 (13½ 15 16½ 18 19½) ins.

Cast off.

To make up.
    Join shoulder and upper sleeve seams leaving approx 8 - 10 ins open at centre for neck.

This reply was deleted.