KasSnippets - March 2015

REPORTS FROM SOUTH AFRICA

by Ronda Lowrie

KAS South Africa enjoyed another successful Hobby X and it was so encouraging to have people we met at last year’s show bringing us the squares that they had knitted to this year’s show.  We even had a lady drive all the way from Harrismith to Johannesburg to bring us her squares – a 3 hour journey!

In this report, we feature our visit to the Salvation Day Care Centre that took place towards the end of June 2014.  The Salvation Day Care Centre is, as you will see from the photos a very well-run school.

Full Report : 

HOBBY-X and THE SALVATION DAY CARE CENTRE

Previous Reports :

The Little Treasures of Finetown

Onwards and Upwards for Knit-a-Square South Africa!

FURTHER NEWS ON THE

NAVY BLUE SCARF CHALLENGE

by Pam Antink

Navy Blue Loom Knit Scarf

Current Total : 64 scarves

The current total probably doesn't reflect the true number of scarves winging their way to South Africa. Also, the postal service is now experiencing a work-to-rule action and the KAS office has experienced a reduction in the mail received these past two weeks........

However, the good news is that we have kitted out a busload of  kids with warm scarves!

To help inspire us to keep this project flowing along

Anne Powell has come up with the following ode to help us all!

THE NAVY BLUE SCARF

They’ve asked us to make navy blue scarves - Forty three inches by eight

Navy Blue?? OMG, you’re kidding, I thought! It’s quite boring - a colour I hate.

They’re for schools, I was told, to match uniforms, the colour just has to be navy.

All I could think is "Oh save me please , dark blue makes my eyes go wavy",

I finished my first and put on the fringe

And needed to go on a colour binge.

So I made a few squares just for relief, and while looking for colours bright,

I found in my stash a giant ball of "blue as dark as night".

Enough for some more.... so off I went, and though I am colour-restricted,

Scarves are fun to do and work up fast and now I am simply addicted!

The first few are gone. To Ronda they’re sent.

And it feels good to know....... they will help pay the rent!

I think I’ll keep going and make a few more

I’m getting to like them, they’re not really a chore.

I’m setting a goal, not making a fuss..

Fifty scarves in two years - I will fill up a bus.

So check out your stash, Girls - Got blue lurking there?

Make even one scarf for a school child to wear.

It will make a huge difference to KAS and a child

Then go back to squares when you need to "go wild".

To see the rest of the discussion and patterns please click here

KNIT-A-SQUARE APPEAL

Two new items are now in the KAS Shop.  Help KAS create a better world for the children through the power of learning.

The ability to express oneself in a creative manner through something as simple as colouring in, is an activity very many of the orphaned and vulnerable children we visit have not experienced.

Shop Link : Colouring Books and Crayons

Allow us the opportunity to spend time reading to these children and in turn to encourage them to learn the empowering skill of reading!

Shop Link : Reading Books

Let’s help these little ones on the path of literacy!

Pay the Office Rent for a Day - Review !

So far this month 9 members paid towards the the office rent for a day!

A BIG thank-you to the those members who supported the “Fund-raising for Rent” appeal in KAS Snippets – we appreciate your help as the extra space is vital for our volunteers to efficiently open parcels, sort and bundle squares and other items and keep the system running efficiently.

We will need to put our collective thinking caps on this year, to come up with ideas to keep funding the operational side of KAS SA as it has grown to critical mass in terms of its relative manpower requirements on the ground.  If any of you have a knack for fund-raising, please share some of your inspirational thoughts with us!!!

[Ronda wrote in the Report from South Africa.]

For this appeal we are asking members to donate via the KAS SA website page : 

KAS SOUTH AFRICA

KAS REACHES GREAT HEIGHTS FOR CHILDREN

A JOURNEY AROUND THE WORLD !

This challenge is going to take us around the planet whilst reaching great heights & piles of squares - 178,000 to be precise, in order to reach the top of Table Mountain, Cape Town in South Africa!

We are going to need 50 squares for every foot climbed!

Since last month we have left Ireland, and visited Jordan, Indonesia, New Zealand and are currently in Dubai - this image truly shows the pile of squares sent by KAS members since we first started. Also during April we will be whizzing up the heights due to the backlog that has arrived in January & February!

Our current target is No.167 at 136,100 squares 

Here is the link to KAS Reaches Great Heights for Children

WHAT'S GOING ON IN

SOUTH AFRICA?

SORTED IN SOUTH AFRICA

- THE OFFICE

See more pics in Sorted in South Africa

DISTRIBUTION PHOTOGRAPHS

Link to recent : Distribution Photographs

Mama Ntombi Community Projects !

This month there have been two upbeat reports on the education being sponsored by the Mama Ntombi team - considering the tremendous poverty in this rural area, the school work is progressing well with the help of inspired teachers!

To see more of the education photos please click here

SPREADING THE WORD,

MEMBERS & GROUP NEWS!

Knit-a-Square is being featured in

Charity Knitting

All in a very good cause 

Want to use your knitting skills to help others? Read on to find out about some of the charities around the world who are currently looking for contributions from knitters.

Visit to read more : Charity Knitting

Knitting in the Slovakia Republic

by Eva Adamkova

Elementary school in Presov, Majove namestie, Slovak republic

No need to count them!!!!!
There are 135 squares - made by students, teachers, cleaning ladies, mothers, grandmothers and friends of the school.

To add your own comments,  please click here 

147 squares made by the kids and their teacher, Mrs. Drimalove, at the Elementary School Hranice na Morave

To add your own comments, please click here

Between these two schools in the Czech-Slovak region, the children have produced enough blankets to keep 8 more children warm and healthy! Quite brilliant work!

River John Square Knitters First Annual Knit-in - Canada 
contributed by Gloria Grandy
Thank you to everyone who joined us to make this an extra special day.  We appreciate the many donations of yarn and knitted and crocheted squares, and the generous donations to our postage costs which help us get these things to the children.  Today we were able to get two more packages wrapped and ready to send to South Africa.

To read and see more of the inspiring photographs taken on the day 

please click here

Do check out more of the interesting blogs from groups and members in the discussion category

Meeting you and Members' personal blogs

THE BLANKET ROOM COLLECTION !

Put together by Christine Johnson

Almost 10 pages of blanket has been added since last month!  The very impressive blanket above contains the work of several members, including a number of squares made by Karen E in Melbourne (Australia).

The Blanket Room Collection

KAS MONTHLY THEME

March Theme - Rainbows, Neons and Kaleidoscopes

lead by Elaine Jones

To read Elaine's introduction please click here

March ChallengeMarch challenge 5March Theme-Colourful SpiralsRainbow coloursMarch 2015 Theme - Kaleidoscope squareMarch 2015 Spring is on it's WayMarch - Rainbows, Neons, and Kaleidoscopes - Tunisian CrochetMarch 2015 Rainbow WeaveMarch ThemeColour collisionRainbowDiagonalNeon square by JudeFullSizeRender (12)March 2015Rainbow squareSouth Africa's coloursMARCH 2015 THEME - RAINBOWS, NEONS AND KALEIDOSCOPESsquares 2March 2015 Theme - Rainbow Granny20 diagonalsMarch challenge 6

Here is a selection of the recent single colour squares - which are the backbone of KAS blankets and provide a wonderful frame for the above more exotic squares: 

A kaleidoscope of vest topsMarch Theme - Rainbow coloursNew Year Trio 2Plain Janes (Feb 15)March 2015 PJs6/3/15imagePink, purple, blues - MARCH 2015 THEMENAVY BLUE SCARF PROJECT - # Thirteen to sixteenMidnight (Navy)wool

and here are some of the March goodies!
Grace Vest (2) from MarionMarch 2015 Theme - Rainbow FishMade by Regina Kadlecova, Czech republicHat and handwarmersMarch 2015 No-sew Go-overDolly2 more dolls for KAS3 Dolls Cozy Jumper 49IMG_0401

MONTHLY THEMES FOR 2015

APRIL - Variegated Yarn - This is one of the most popular and is enjoyed by the members - Bev

MAY - One-Color Squares - PJs and Textures [Including Autumn Glory, Pretty Pinks, Ruby Reds ... and so on.] - Gloria Grandy

JUNE - Stripes & Zig Zags - another popular item - Pam Antink

JULY  - Christmas - Glorious Greens & Reds - Debbie Posmontier and Sue Gillman

AUGUST -  "Flags - the international KAS community" - Heather Mensah

SEPTEMBER - Fabulous Faces - Smiley faces, Animal & People faces - Robin Monsees

OCTOBER - Grannies & Garters - Susan Donaldson

NOVEMBER - Oceans/Land/Sky/Space Valerie Zalewski supported by Linda Maltby

DECEMBER - Year End UFOs, Stash Busters, Plain Janes, Easy Peezies and other Favorites - Susan Haines

TALLY  or ITEM COUNT NEWS

by Linda Maltby

2015 February Squares List

The volunteers are still working through the backlog and there are more parcels to come. This is a photo of the Johannesburg Mail Hub, dated March 12, 2015. 

If your name hasn’t been on the Squares List and you are concerned, your parcel is most likely somewhere in here !  It will eventually find its way into the Knit-a-Square mailbag.

Although they would love to send everyone an email to tell you that your parcel has arrived, the volunteers don’t have the time or the energy to complete one more task !  Please check the monthly Squares List for your name.

The Squares List is available on the website:  

www.knit-a-square.com   Click on ‘Received Squares’.

Squares:  17,664 [504 blankets]

The Graphs for Tops and Hats are available HERE.

Please remember to include the packing slip.

APRIL PATTERN OF THE MONTH

by Linda Maltby 

Chain Stitch square – a crochet pattern by Mary Lokken (Italy)

The chain stitch creates a lovely solid square and is quite easy to crochet. 

Perfect for those times when the fingers need to be busy but the mind doesn’t want to engage in anything too strenuous!

The squares are striking in a single colour but adding another colour highlights both.

This crochet pattern offers an opportunity to use those smaller balls of yarn and still make beautiful squares for the children.

The Chain Stitch Square is available in The KAS Pattern Book

SQUARE HEART OF THE MONTH AWARD

Edited this month by Gloria Grandy 

For this month is

THE SPECIAL MOTHER & DAUGHTER TEAM OF

WENDY LEWIS  & MADELINE MURRAY et al.

Uxbridge, ON, Canada

This Mother and Daughter team posted the first photos of their work in May of 2012. What better way to spend time with your family than sharing your passion for helping others.

To read the rest of the award please click here

KAS FACEBOOK PAGE

IMG_0400TeddyMarch ThemeBaby Buddies for KASPigglets-Micah's Pocket Pals Finger PuppetsFullSizeRender 2
We have received an additional 294 Likes on the Facebook page so far during February-March period, taking our total to 9,474 !  We could hit the 10,000 mark in the next 3 months!

FINAL THOUGHTS

No words needed!

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Another great newsletter, I really enjoy clicking on all the links and seeing the wonderful photos. I loved the poem about the scarf knitting! - just off now to dig out that navy blue wool from the back of the drawer....the sun is shining here in Oxfordshire UK today so I should be able to see well enough to knit in this unforgiving colour! Love to everyone.

• I do love that last photo...it really says it....bringing happiness to children, what greater blessing could we have?  Love it.

I have chuckled my way through Anne's Ode to a Navy Scarf which is in the Navy Scarf Challenge discussion.  I am saving a big variegated bright ball of yarn for the April challenge...I hope to do many chain stitch squares in it while right now I work on the navy scarves. It will be a good way to keep from getting bored with the navy I think, alternate them. :)

Pam this is a great report...thanks so much!

• Trish (RJSK) says:

"Well done everyone! The KasSnippets site is a great way for me to connect with family and friends about my involvement with RJSK and to promote KAS. Wonderful, wonderful."

• Thanks for this lovely KasSnippets report, Pam ... and thanks to your readers for their special comments, too.

We feel so "well-supported" by the care and interest shown by everyone.

We love this final pic, too - it so clearly shows the joy that all your beautiful work brings to these adorable little people !

Blessings and thanks to ALL KASfamily members worldwide xoxoxoxoxoxo

• Big warm hugs, high fives and blessings to all of you working so hard in South Africa Ronda.  We love you!

• Another great edition so full of love, hope, charity and inspiration.

• Pam, may I say that the pay for a day scheme needs to be given more prominence to make it more accessible. I saw it a few weeks ago, thought I should do something about it then forgot the amount and couldn't find the details on here. Perhaps it could be put in a box on the left hand side of the page marked pay for a day. I think it is such a good idea and KASers would rally round. What would we all do without our beloved KAS?
    • You are quite right Cath - we'll give it some thought - hopefully, it will be in the KasShop eventually!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, it is a pleasure to pull all the strands together so that those members who are a bit busy have a chance to catch-up with events!

• And an amazing ode by Anne. Well done! :o)

• Thanks Pam for another fantastic report.  It is great to know the many ways that KAS is affecting the world.  God bless you.

This reply was deleted.